Saturday, March 29, 2008

THE BAD SEED





THE BAD SEED-
The first time I saw this I was like "What the-?" but once little Rhoda (Patty McCormick) starts killing people... I knew I was going to love this flick for the rest of my life!

This film was considered to be shocking for its time, because for the very first time a child is portrayed as a "serial killer". I only wish the kids of today would show the same kind of effort and creativity Rhoda had in killing people in this film.

A wonderful over-the-top performances by Nancy Kelly as the tragic mother Christine Penmark, tormented by the fact her little angel is really a cold blooded killer, while blaming her own genetic history as the cause of Rhoda's inability to understand what's right or wrong.

Eileen Heckart who won a Golden Globe Award as best supporting actress, as the lush Hortense Daigle. Hortense is the aging mother of the little boy murdered by Rhoda. She comes storming in to the Penmarck home loaded with alcohol and tears screaming things like : I'm drunk. It's a pleasure to stay drunk when your little boy's been killed...He used to say I was his sweetheart and he'd marry me one day. I would laugh... and say "No, you won't. You'll forget about me long before then. You'll find a prettier girl and marry her." And he said "No, I won't. 'Cause there isn't a prettier girl in the whole world than you are." That must've won her an Oscar nomination as well. Or perhaps it was the line "I know you're a superior person...Christine that's such a pretty name, Hortense sounds fat!"

Henry Jones was wonderful as the evil janitor Leroy and Evelyn Varden as the annoying Monica Breedlove. This movie is a must see and you'll be shocked by the suprise ending too! Another wonder quote from the movie you may want to use for your little ones everyday...

Rhoda: What will you give me for a basketful of kisses?
Dad : I'll give you a basketful of hugs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home